Mobile menu

Prince Albert collected photographs of places significant to him

James Mack (1827-64)

Novodevichy Convent, Moscow 17 - 17 Sep 1856

Albumen print | 16.7 x 24.9 cm (image) (image) | RCIN 2945150

Your share link is...

  Close

Photograph of the Novodevichy Convent in Moscow. The convent is surrounded by a fortified wall and has a four storey gatehouse with five small onion domes. At the centre of the convent is the Cathedral of Our Lady of Smolensk which has five onion domes mounted with crosses. To the left is a tall octagonal bell tower. There is a road in the foreground with cows to the right.

The Novodevichy Convent was founded in 1524 to commemorate the conquest of Smolensk. This is one of a series of photographs taken by Corporal J Mack during the coronation celebrations of Alexander II, Emperor of Russia. He was part of a group of British representatives led by Lord Granville.
  • Creator(s)

    James Mack (1827-64) (photographer)

  • 16.7 x 24.9 cm (image) (image)

  • Presented to Queen Victoria by Lord Panmure (later known as Lord Dalhousie) in November 1856

  • Object type(s)
      • visual works
        • photographs
    Subject(s)
    • Places
      • Europe
        • Russia
          • Moscow [Russia]
            • Novodevichy Convent [Moscow]
              • Cathedral of Our Lady of Smolensk [Novodevichy Convent]
    • Arts, Recreation, Entertainment & Sport
      • Architecture
        • Ecclesiastical & religious architecture
          • Monastic buildings
            • Monasteries
    • Science, Medicine and Technology
      • Construction
        • Structural parts of buildings
          • Roofs
            • Domes (architectural)
      • Agriculture and related techniques
        • Animal husbandry
          • Cattle & oxen
            • Cows