Mobile menu

Prince Albert collected photographs of places significant to him

Charles Clifford (1819-62)

Detail of the Giralda, Seville Cathedral c.1859

Albumen print | 40.5 x 30.5 cm (image) | RCIN 2700140

Your share link is...

  Close

Photograph of the upper section of Seville Cathedral bell tower, known as the Giralda. Ornate carvings in the Moorish style decorate the outer walls of the former Minaret and five bells can be seen hanging in the belfry. The upper section was completed during the Spanish Renaissance period during the 16th century when the belfry was added. The bronze female figure on top of the bell tower is known as El Giraldillo. She is depicted holding the banner of Constantine.

The Giralda stands at over 100 metres in height and occupies the site of the former Minaret that was part of the original Mosque built by the Moors. Mueddin summoned Muslims to prayer from this tower until the middle of the 13th century when the mosque was converted into a church following the capture of Seville from the Moors.  

  • Creator(s)

    Charles Clifford (1819-62) (photographer)

  • 40.5 x 30.5 cm (image)

    41.0 x 54.0 cm (page dimensions)

  • Photographic Souvenir of Spain Vol. II, 1861

  • Acquired by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert

  • Object type(s)
      • visual works
        • photographs
    Subject(s)
    • Places
      • Europe
        • Spain
          • Andalucia [Spain]
            • Seville [Spain]
              • Seville Cathedral [Seville]
                • Giralda [Seville Cathedral]
    • Arts, Recreation, Entertainment & Sport
      • Architecture
        • Moorish architecture
        • Ecclesiastical & religious architecture
          • Mosques
      • Plastic arts
        • Sculpture
          • Statues
    • Genealogy and Heraldry
      • Flags
        • Banners