Mobile menu

Albums compiled by Prince Albert, reflecting his beliefs surrounding photography

Charles Thurston Thompson (1816-68)

The 'Conservatory' Horticultural Gardens. South Kensington 1862

Albumen print | 12.6 x 19.3 cm (image) (image) | RCIN 2932802

Your share link is...

  Close

Photograph of the Royal Horticultural Society's ornamental gardens, South Kensington. On the left of the photograph, an urn stands in the centre of a grassy area. In the background stands a large building. The building, predominantly made of glass, was known as the 'Great Conservatory'. The gardens were built on land leased from the Commissioners of the Great Exhibition of 1851 and were officially opened by the Prince Consort who was accompanied by Prince Albert Edward of Wales, Prince Arthur and the Princesses Alice, Helena and Louise.
  • Creator(s)

    Charles Thurston Thompson (1816-68) (photographer)

    Subject(s)
    Horticultural Society of London
    Royal Horticultural Society [London]
  • 12.6 x 19.3 cm (image) (image)

  • Acquired by Queen Victoria

  • Object type(s)
      • visual works
        • photographs
    Subject(s)
    • Places
      • Europe
        • Great Britain
          • England
            • Greater London [England]
              • London [Greater London]
                • Kensington [London]
                  • South Kensington [London]
                    • Royal Horticultural Society Gardens [South Kensington]
    • Science, Medicine and Technology
      • Agriculture and related techniques
        • Gardening
          • Gardens