Mobile menu

Prince Albert collected photographs of places significant to him

George Washington Wilson (1823-93)

Durham Cathedral from the River Side c. 1861

Albumen print | 7.7 x 7.1 cm (image) | RCIN 2320236

Your share link is...

  Close

Photograph of Durham Cathedral situated on the west bank of the River Wear with the two west towers and the central tower prominent features. Thick tree growth surrounds the base of the cathedral with the Old Fulling Mill standing centre left on the water's edge. Tree branches at the top left, help frame the view.

Like the central tower, the two western towers were heightened during a later period in the cathedral's history. The central tower was originally built with a single storey, but a second was added in the late 15th century during repairs made to the building following a lightning strike. Wilson would deliberately choose to frame many of his compositions using foliage or tree branches in order to contain the image which helped to focus the viewer's attention. A review of this photograph appeared in the British Journal of Photography for the 2nd February 1863.
  • Creator(s)

    George Washington Wilson (1823-93) (photographer)

  • 7.7 x 7.1 cm (image)

    17.2 x 13.0 cm (mount)

  • From an album of photographs collected and arranged by Albert, Prince Consort, between 1860 and 1861

  • Object type(s)
      • visual works
        • photographs
    Subject(s)
    • Places
      • Europe
        • Great Britain
          • England
            • County Durham [England]
              • Durham [County Durham]
                • Durham Cathedral
                • Durham Castle
      • Physiography
        • Rivers
          • Rivers of northern Europe
            • Rivers of northern England and north Wales
              • Wear, River [Co.Durham]
    • Arts, Recreation, Entertainment & Sport
      • Architecture
        • Ecclesiastical & religious architecture
          • Cathedrals
        • Domestic architecture
          • Castles