Mobile menu

Victoria commissioned works that memorialised her beloved husband

George Washington Wilson (1823-93)

Caerlaverock Castle 1870

Albumen print | 5.8 x 8.9 cm (image) | RCIN 2620060

Your share link is...

  Close

Photograph of Caerlaverock Castle, showing the twin towers of the keep with the outer curtain walls extending, diagonally from the keep in the background. A white coloured footbridge provides access across the moat into the castle. Ivy covers the left tower. In the foreground are six men and women, seated on the ground all facing the viewer and a man who stands with his right arm raised in the air. Caerlaverock Castle was built during the latter half of the 13th century and is situated south of Dumfries on the southern coast of Scotland.
  • Creator(s)

    George Washington Wilson (1823-93) (photographer)

  • 5.8 x 8.9 cm (image)

    17.5 x 13.2 cm (whole object)

  • Acquired by Queen Victoria

  • Object type(s)
      • visual works
        • photographs
    Subject(s)
    • Places
      • Europe
        • Great Britain
          • Scotland
            • Dumfries & Galloway [Scotland]
              • Caerlaverock Castle [Dumfries & Galloway]
    • Arts, Recreation, Entertainment & Sport
      • Architecture
        • Domestic architecture
          • Castles