Mobile menu

Prince Albert collected photographs of places significant to him

George Washington Wilson (1823-93)

Interior of Roslin Chapel c. 1860

Albumen print | 7.5 x 7.3 cm (image) | RCIN 2320133

Photograph of two men, possibly masons, inside the Rosslyn Chapel, Midlothian. The man on the right is seated against an ornately carved pillar and a second man is seated on a box, facing three-quarters right, with his left arm resting on the edge of a piece of stone which he is working on, next to which is a maul. Behind this man, in the centre right of the background is the Apprentice pillar featuring twisting, scroll like decoration.

Rosslyn Chapel fell into ruin but was restored during the 1850's and was re-opened for worship in April 1862. This photograph probably shows the masons who worked on the restoration of the chapel. The chapel was built as a Catholic Collegiate church by William Sinclair, the 1st Earl of Caithness in 1456. It is now open for public worship as a member of the Scottish Episcopal Church.  

  • Creator(s)

    George Washington Wilson (1823-93) (photographer)

  • 7.5 x 7.3 cm (image)

    17.2 x 13.0 cm (mount)

  • From an album of photographs collected and arranged by Albert, Prince Consort, between 1860 and 1861

  • Object type(s)
      • visual works
        • photographs
    Subject(s)
    • Places
      • Europe
        • Great Britain
          • Scotland
            • Midlothian [Scotland]
              • Rosslyn Castle [Midlothian]
    • Arts, Recreation, Entertainment & Sport
      • Architecture
        • Ecclesiastical & religious architecture
          • Christian church architecture
            • Chapels