Mobile menu

Prince Albert collected photographs of places significant to him

After John Thomas (1813-62)

Inscription over entrance door to Balmoral Tower 1860

Albumen print | 28.3 x 36.6 cm (page dimensions) | RCIN 2160100

Your share link is...

  Close

Photograph of a marble bas relief showing two dogs holding a crest surrounded by two horns, spears and a stag head. The central inscription states "This the Castle of Balmoral was erected by H.R.H. Prince Albert, consort of H.M. Queen Victoria begun, Sept 28th 1853, completed, Sept 1st 1856. W. Smith, Architect'. The relief features above the entrance door to the tower of Balmoral Castle.
  • Creator(s)

    After John Thomas (1813-62) (sculptor)

    Subject(s)
    Prince Albert, Prince Consort (1819-61)
    Queen Victoria, Queen of the United Kingdom (1819-1901)
  • 28.3 x 36.6 cm (page dimensions)

    14.3 x 18.3 cm (image)

  • Acquired by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert

  • Object type(s)
      • visual works
        • albums
          • photograph albums
        • photographs
      • printed & manuscript material
        • books
    Subject(s)
    • Science, Medicine and Technology
      • Agriculture and related techniques
        • Animal husbandry
          • Dogs
    • Genealogy and Heraldry
      • Heraldry
        • Crests