Mobile menu

Raphael was especially esteemed for his Madonna and Child compositions

Friedrich John (active c.1790s)

Holy Family with a Palm Tree dated 1793

Mezzotint | 42.6 x 32.2 cm (sheet of paper) | RCIN 850730

Your share link is...

  Close

A print after a painting which was at the time of this print in the possession of Count Czernichew. Lettered with text in Latin and Russian. The painting, which is attributed on plate to Fra Bartolommeo, was described as being in a French private collection in Weston-Lewis/1994. See Bibliographic References.

The painting is a variant of Raphael's so-called Holy Family under a Palm Tree currently on loan to National Gallery of Scotland, Edinburgh (inv. no.NGL 062.46), from the Duke of Sutherland Collection. See RCIN 850726 for a print reproducing Raphael's painting.
  • Creator(s)

    Friedrich John (active c.1790s) (engraver)

    After a work copying Raphael (Urbino 1483-Rome 1520) (artist)

    After a work previously attributed to Fra Bartolomeo (1475-1517) (artist)

  • 42.6 x 32.2 cm (sheet of paper)

    28.1 x 18.2 cm (image)

    40.3 x 30.3 cm (platemark)

  • Added to the Prince Consort's Raphael Collection (c.1853-76)

  • Object type(s)
      • visual works
        • prints
    Subject(s)
    • Religion & Theology
      • Religions and faiths
        • Christianity
          • Devotional Images of Christ
            • Virgin & Child
              • Virgin & Child with Saints
                • Virgin & Child with Saints-Holy Family
                  • Virgin & Child with Saints-Holy Family: Joseph only
    • Natural Sciences & Mathematics
      • Botany
        • Systematic botany
          • Trees
            • Palm trees
          • Flowering plants
  • Other number(s)

    Ruland p.61 A.XII.5

    Bibliographic reference(s)

    Raphael. The Pursuit of Perfection 1994 : Raphael. The Pursuit of Perfection, National Galleries of Scotland, 1994 p.39 and o. 47, no. 12

    Capellen 2001 : Capellen, JM, 2001. Raphael : the paintings. Volume 1, The Beginning in Umbria and Florence ca.1500-1508 pp. 246-249, no. 32