Mobile menu

The frescoes in the Vatican Palace commissioned by Popes Julius II and Leo X

Joseph Karel de Meulemeester (Bruges 1771-Rome 1836)

God speaks to Moses c.1806-1836

Engraving | 49.9 x 60.8 cm (sheet of paper) | RCIN 853551

Your share link is...

  Close

A print after the fresco God speaks to Moses painted by the workshop of Raphael (c.1517-19) in the vault of the ninth bay of the Raphael Loggia in the Vatican. Lettered with Bible quote in Latin (Exodus 33) and production details. Numbered on plate at upper right: XXXV.

Meulemeester travelled to Rome in 1806 to make engravings after the frescoes of the Raphael Loggia, but died in 1836 with the project unfinished. 51 drawings by Meulemeester after the loggia frescoes survive in the Musée Royaux des Beaux-Arts in Brussels. The series was later completed and published in 1845 with an accompanying text by the Baron de Reiffenberg. Plate 35 from Les Loges de Raphael, 1845 (see Bibliographic References).
  • Creator(s)

    Joseph Karel de Meulemeester (Bruges 1771-Rome 1836) (engraver)

    After a work by the workshop of Raphael (Urbino 1483-Rome 1520) (artist)

    Luigi Calamatta (1801-69) (director)

    Chardon Ainé et Aze (printer)

    Paris : Gide (publisher)

    Brussels: A Lacrosse (publisher)

    Subject(s)
    Moses(OT)
  • 49.9 x 60.8 cm (sheet of paper)

    42.7 x 48.5 cm (platemark)

  • DESCENDEBAT COLVMBA NVBIS...CERNENTIBVS VNIVERSIS.Exod.XXXIII.

  • Added to the Prince Consort's Raphael Collection (c.1853-76)

  • Object type(s)
      • visual works
        • prints
    Subject(s)
    • Religion & Theology
      • Religions and faiths
        • Christianity
          • Bible & Holy Scripture
            • Old Testament
  • Other number(s)

    Ruland p.222 B.XXXV.1

    Bibliographic reference(s)

    Höper 2001 : Höper, C. Raffael und die Folgen, Hatje Cantz Verlag, 2001 p.432, G8.2

    Davidson 1985 : Davidson, Bernice F. Raphael's Bible. A Study of the Vatican Logge, 1985 fig.78

    Dacos 2008: Dacos, N., The Loggia of Raphael: A Vatican Art Treasure, 2008 pl.133, p.176